From pig pen to bacon pie
From choosing your piglet to guiding it around the show ring …
4-H market hog projects are fun.
It may be difficult to imagine these little piggies turned pork chops, but that is the goal: to carefully tend and raise premium pork for the dinner table. The kids may have shoved it to the back of their minds for the past few months, but they know the reason for this project is makin’ bacon.
In honor of premium piggies and their devoted handlers, here’s a recipe to showcase the baconators. It’s a recipe from Porktastic.com and it sounds delicious. Let me know what you think!
- 12 slices bacon
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup baking mix
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Grease glass pie plate, 10×1-1/2 inches. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Sprinkle bacon, cheese, and onion in pie plate.
- In a medium bowl, stir milk, eggs, baking mix, and pepper with fork until blended. Pour into pie plate.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.