Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup with Ham and Cheddar
This soup is the perfect combination of leftover summer sunshine, delightfully cool autumn afternoons and the promise of fall’s colorful display. Enjoy! The leftovers are as tasty as the first spoonful. Best served on a brisk autumn day!
Sweet Potato Pumpkin Soup with Ham & Cheddar
- 4 strips bacon, browned, diced and reserved for later
- 2 Tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 32 oz. boxes unsalted chicken stock
- 3 sweet potatoes, finely chopped
- 29-oz. can pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (more or less to taste)
- ? teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 8 oz. diced ham
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 8 oz. shredded Cabot sharp white cheddar cheese
- kosher salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Brown bacon in a large stock pot. Set bacon aside for topping finished soup. Reserve drippings in stock pot.
- Add onion to bacon drippings and saute until tender. Add 1 cup of chicken stock to deglaze pan.
- Add chopped sweet potatoes to pot and saute until tender. Transfer vegetable mixture to a blender or food processor, and puree until smooth.
- Add pumpkin, parsley and diced ham to the vegetable mixture and pulse to combine (adding more broth as necessary).
- Return mixture to stock pot and pour in remaining chicken stock. Add maple syrup. Season with cayenne, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Simmer on low for 30 minutes. Before serving, stir in 8 oz. shredded Cabot sharp cheddar cheese. Top with crumbled bacon if desired.
Copyright 2007-2014 Farmgirl Follies - Jennifer Kiko