Heart of the matter

What a difference 12 hours can make.

This morning, my 34 year-old husband … love of my life … father of my three beautiful children … healthy, athletic and hardy … interrupted his morning commute and took a detour to the emergency room.

daddybabyfeet

He was having a minor heart attack, caused by slight blockage in his left anterior descending artery. They fixed the problem with a stent, said he suffered minimal damage and that the heart would heal itself. They expect a full recovery.

My husband played basketball and soccer. He loves his job and evening farm chores. He chops firewood. He’s a fit, outdoorsy guy. A healthy eater, loves the basic veggies, eats a fair share of fish, occasional chicken … but I’ll admit, there’s butter in our house. And bacon. And eggs. [Are they evil?] He does not smoke. He does not drink habitually. He is active and happy and rarely ill.

What in the name of all that is good and just and right in the world would cause him to have a heart attack?

No one has an answer. But that’s ok … I needed only one answer this morning as I sat in the cardiac care unit waiting room—the answer to my fervent prayers. I asked that he would be ok. He is. And I thank God.

What a difference 12 hours can make.

Who cares that I had an inconvenient dead battery in my car Friday night? Who cares that we were sick with the flu all weekend. Who cares if there’s dust on the furniture or laundry piled up. None of it matters. Only people.

I beg you to go, right now, to the people you love most in the world and hug them and kiss them and tell them how important they are to you. And thank God that they are with you and that you are so very blessed.

Who knows what the next 12 hours will bring.

Alpaca Farmgirl March 18, 2009 (9:39 pm)

Ooh! So scary. Glad he’s okay. Those must have been some frightening hours for you all. What a blessing that you have each other.

Wanda Horton March 18, 2009 (10:14 pm)

I understand your questions and thoughts. My husband has had two stents – and at an early age. Turns out, he inherited “small particle” size cholesterol, which accumulates more rapidly.

I am so thankful for you, your husband recognized something was wrong and didn’t try to “tough it out” – which a lot of men do.

Take good care of each other and let him know all will be right with the world! Blessings to you both!

cathy March 19, 2009 (6:32 am)

Yes, an event like that definitely puts life into perspective. Glad that things look like they will be okay.

Taryn March 19, 2009 (9:53 am)

So thankful that everything is going to be okay. I love you all sooo much and you are always in my prayers!

mother goose March 19, 2009 (11:05 am)

You are absolutely right!!! People are all that matter! Forget everything else in life – love for those around us is what gets us through! We are all so thankful that he was the tough and smart guy and did go to the hospital!!! After all we can’t play card games without our fearless rule master!

mother goose March 19, 2009 (11:09 am)

Father Goose says he’ll cut your firewood or feed calves or whatever else you may need!

Lloyd Cash March 20, 2009 (2:56 pm)

I am working in the area as a flight paramedic, opening new bases. I have been searching antique shops during my time off. In my travels I came across your shop and have been looking forward to your opening. As I came by today I saw you had a family emergency. I am sorry I missed your place , but even sorrier for what you and your family are going through. May God be with your family and give comfort and healing. I will be returning to my home in TN. Sunday, then off to a new base. I hope to be back one day and can come by. You all will be in my prayers.
    Lloyd Cash

Flowermills March 22, 2009 (4:06 pm)

Sorry to hear about your husband’s heart attack. Hope all is going well.