Get a Hobby

Hobby Farm Home Magazine

I’m so excited … and I just can’t hide it. I’m singing that 1982 Pointer Sisters song in my head. The pages of this particular magazine hold a tiny bit of wonder and amazement for me. A couple of months ago I received an e-mail from Nancy Mann Jackson. She was writing an article for Hobby Farm Home and wanted to know here’s where the wonder and amazement come in! — if she could feature FarmgirlFollies.com in her article. Me?!

I answered her questions about blogging, why I began and how I’ve transformed it from a simple, online journal for family into something that’s read by people far and near. Would you believe I received a Thanksgiving greeting from someone in India?

My heart swells with love for all. I’m also deeply humbled and inspired!

Hobby Farm Home magazine

It is both cool and weird to open a magazine and see my face smiling back at me. It’s neat to read something I said or wrote, too, but I’ll tell you what’s really, really awesome: the expressions and ecstatic glee of my girls when they turned the page and saw this …

Hobby Farm Home

It’s a photo of my daughters preparing for the county fair. That’s Tess on the left. She’s 10. Abby, right, just turned 12. I asked for their autographs, now that they’re famous and all!

Merry Christmas to me. My beloved blog was mentioned in an article in one of my favorite magazines. (It’s available by subscription here or at Tractor Supply!) I certainly wasn’t the only blogger in the story, though. I joined a host of talented — and from what I’m reading — beautiful inside-and-out ladies. Check out their blogs, too!

Melissa Wells November 28, 2012 (8:28 pm)

That is so awesome.. and you should know that you hold good company.. I too was, shall we say featured in a magazine many years ago.. and did not even know it! Apparently several years ago a photograph of my father and myself was taken while we were watching the primitive scroll saw demo at the Great Trail Festival and that photo and an article was featured in a travel magazine! The surprising thing was that my grandparents subscribed to that magazine and found a huge surprise when Dave and my mugs showed up! Thinking I should have cashed in on some royalties! That is so cool for you! Are you doing autographed copies?!?!? I have subscribed to Hobby Farms for many years and may now have to look into Hobby Farms Home! Congrats on getting the word out!

Farmgirl November 28, 2012 (8:36 pm)

That’s pretty cool and begs the question … do you know how to use a scroll saw? Because I have some projects in mind and may need your expert advice! lol

Nanny November 29, 2012 (12:21 am)

Congrats to you dear daughter! Fame becomes you! Abby and Tess continue to follow in Mommy’s footsteps and you’ll be published plenty also!

Farmgirl November 29, 2012 (7:20 am)

Thanks, Nanny! 🙂

Vicki November 29, 2012 (6:57 am)

Congratulations Jennifer!!! It has been an awesome year for you!!! I will have to pick
    up a copy at Tractor Supply.

Farmgirl November 29, 2012 (7:20 am)

Oh, Vicki! Thank you so much. I miss you!

Kris November 29, 2012 (6:59 am)

Congratulations on the article! I love HHF magazine. It’s how I found out about your website. I have enjoyed your site and blog very much. I’m also a fellow Buckeye and have just moved to my own little farm north of Dayton. I just wanted to pass along to you that I agree with the magazine and think you have a great blog!

Farmgirl November 29, 2012 (7:19 am)

Thank you, Kris! I’m so happy you stopped by. Good luck on your new adventures … perhaps there’s a blog in your future, too?! 🙂

Nancy November 29, 2012 (10:13 am)

Congrats! You deserve it. Your blog is the only one I visit regularly. Your faith, devotion to family and awesome decorating inspires me. I miss stopping by the store to see you! I’m gonna run to Tractor Supply!

Farmgirl November 29, 2012 (4:18 pm)

Thanks, Nancy! I do miss the shop every once in awhile, but most of the time I’m content to spend the weekends at home, baking bread and the like! 🙂 Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Aunt Mary Ann November 29, 2012 (8:47 pm)

Congratulations!
    I’m going to get a copy tomorrow, when I’m in town…..by the way, can we say that
    we knew you when?

Farmgirl November 29, 2012 (11:35 pm)

Haha! 🙂

Nancy Mann Jackson November 30, 2012 (2:35 pm)

So glad you liked the article! And thanks again for your help with it. The photos look great!