Budding shutterbug

worm

Attack of the giant worm.

No …. not really. This photo was taken by my oldest for a 4-H project. Though 4-H will cease to exist after this year’s fair — due to budget cuts, we still have this year’s judging to look forward to. Photography is her favorite project.

She’s been having a ton of fun coming up with unique photos. Some ideas work … some fall short. Sometimes the little failures lead to even better ideas. Best of all, she’s taken the lead. She’s reading her project book, answering the questions and coming up with photos all on her own. She borrows my camera, disappears for a few minutes or hours, and then returns with shots for me to peruse. She’s having a ball.

Which is why it’s such a dang shame that 4-H is over.

Kids thrive. They learn independence and responsibility. They make friends animal and otherwise. But I’m sorry … this post isn’t intended to be a lament. It’s about my budding shutterbug … I thought I’d show off some of her work.

Unique perspectives.

littleman1

Creative trick shots!

cow

Lessons in flash and shadows.

clover

And because the beauty is in the details, she got lucky while paying attention.

Stay tuned for more projects in progress. They’ve also been polishing show halters and leading heifers and arguing with me about painting the show box hot pink.

I told them this isn’t an episode of Hannah Montana.

And speaking of that character … stay tuned for birthday party photos coming soon!

Melinda July 13, 2010 (6:56 am)

Amazing pictures! How sad that they are cutting 4H! Every year on County Fair judging day I threaten that its our last year – but to actual have it end is really sad. Kids really benefit from 4H.

Mary Poppins July 13, 2010 (7:51 am)

I remember doing that trick shot with my sister when I took photography in 4H! Ha!

georgia peach July 13, 2010 (8:17 am)

Can we get a copy of the book? I’d love for Miss A to do that here. She loves taking pictures.
    We’ll be thinking of ya’ll during the fair. Have fun!!!

Joanna July 13, 2010 (8:23 am)

Hi there – Our 4-H dairy program face budget cuts. We took matters into our own hands as volunteers and raise our own funds via a calf sale. We had our 8th sale this past spring. Just thought I’d share.

Katie July 13, 2010 (2:54 pm)

What do you mean 4-H is over? I haven’t heard anything about that in our area. The kids would b ecrushed!

Jennifer July 13, 2010 (3:24 pm)

She’s doing a fantastic job! Thanks for making me smile on a difficult day. (love the creative trick shot)
    Are these cuts just one more negative consequence of Barack Hussein Obama?

Jane July 15, 2010 (12:21 pm)

Love the pics. Your girls are ALMOST as fabulous as YOU! And yes, it is incredibly SAD that your county office is closing. For those of you asking, it was a result of the county being unable to come up with matching funds to keep the county office open and maintain staff (as in by paying staff and overhead, we’re talking a LOT of money each county puts up to keep their county Extension program running). As much as volunteers are the heart and soul of the 4-H program, it still requires as staff to keep in running in alignment and under the guidelines of the 4-H program (and in Ohio, 4-H is run through OSU Extension). That’s what makes it different from a special interest group or club not affiliated with the actual “4-H” program. But you, Farmgirl, are super mom…and I’m sure you will find many fabulous opportunities for your kidders to continue to develop those skills…and who knows, eventually, the funds may be there to re-open the Carroll Co office. Hugs to your whole fam! I was sick when I heard abt the offices closing this year.

Farmgirl July 15, 2010 (12:28 pm)

Thanks for explaining, Jane! It is a shame, and unfortunately, a sign of the times. There are many great volunteers here, though, and I believe a children’s program will continue in some form. And as you say, hopefully we’ll see a return to 4-H in the future.