Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard

I’ve always been a bit envious of Old Mother Hubbard. She had the neatest old cupboard in which to store her dog’s bones. Who cares if it was bare! She had a cupboard. And I always imagined it as a grand old dame with multiple shelves and lots of storage and intricate hardware. It was made with lovely old wood and yes, there may have been a mouse hole.

The cupboard was not painted an icky brown on the inside, however. I’m quite sure it was a glistening sunshine yellow or seafoam green or even better — a lovely robin’s egg blue.

What a difference a little color makes.

Even if you have to borrow a paint brush from your kids’ art supplies just to paint a tiny edge very, very slowly, a little color can transform a piece of furniture. And that’s exactly what I did over the weekend.

I stumbled upon a Mother Hubbard cupboard and instantly fell in love. It was everything I’ve always dreamed that bare cupboard to be … except for the icky brown inside. I fixed that in a jiffy, though. I’m quite happy with the end result.

Robin’s egg blue is so much better than mud brown, don’t you think?

And I’ll fill it with ironstone pitchers and cookbooks and yes, maybe even a few bones for the dog.

Sue April 5, 2011 (3:59 am)

Beautiful-what a transformation.
    (and I’m sure SOMEBODY appreciates the Milkbones!)
    😀

Melinda April 5, 2011 (6:52 am)

I love it! I just saw a beautiful one at an estate sale last week but by the time I found my husband to show him – it had been sold. 🙁 I’ll just keep looking….

Nancy April 5, 2011 (7:18 am)

I love it! Ya know I never thought of painting the inside of the shelves. I have one and the inside is so dark, the dishes & pretties I put in there just don’t show up well. I was concerned with keeping it “original” but now I’m thinking a little paint wouldn’t hurt! Thanks for the idea!

Robyn April 5, 2011 (7:37 am)

That is a beautiful cupboard! You are lucky to have enough room in your house to put a piece of furniture like that.

Where did you find it? Did you re-finish it or just paint the Robin’s Egg blue?

I have no room. We live in Grandma’s Old Ranch House. The main part of the house was the original house. The Hubby’s Grandparents added on a bathroom and several bedrooms when they got running water in the house! I am lucky and have the cabinet space (with sliding glass doors) from the Original Kitchen to display my many dishes.

Sal April 5, 2011 (8:43 am)

Nice work! Looks great! So much character in older wooden pieces. Love the robin egg blue.

Farmgirl April 7, 2011 (6:30 am)

Thanks, Sally!