Hands of time

There’s an outhouse inside my barn. It’s been there for awhile. No, I’ve never used it. It’s not so much a privy as it is a shed for garden tools. Unfortunately, it weighs about 500 lbs. They unloaded it here — inside the bank barn — about five years ago. It has yet to make it to the garden.

Some things just aren’t worth nagging about. You have to pick and choose battles, you know.

Pigs are more important.

We’ve cleared out a corner of the barn for the pig pen. I’ll be moving the kids out there this weekend. Just kidding! Truth be told, this is the future site of 4-H pig haven. I’m trying to convince the girls to name them Pancetta and Prosciutto.

Farmguy installed some lights over the weekend. And then they got to sweeping … and sweeping … and sweeping up years of dirt and dust.

And then …

They found these …

and these …

… and this.

And now we’re wonderin’ who and when and how long ago.

Mostly, we’re just loving this old barn with its beautiful stone wall and big, bold beams and the cobwebs and critters and holes in the roof. Oh, how I wish I knew its stories! But I’ll happily settle with making new ones.

Old barns. They’re near the top of the ‘few of my favorite things’ list.

mothergoose April 5, 2011 (8:07 pm)

Snicker and Doodle showed me those “treasures” the other day! I wondered who and when too!

Mary Poppins April 6, 2011 (7:58 am)

I have some really awesome pix (I didn’t take them) of my dad’s barn, before it had to be torn down…and it was over 100 years old! I’ll see if I can find them and bring them to ya on Monday! We never found any handprints, but did find a perfect specimen of a mummified fox…if you’d like to use it for a science lesson sometime, you can borrow it! 🙂

Farmgirl April 7, 2011 (6:29 am)

No, don’t bring the fox! You know who will want to keep it in her bedroom with dead butterfly wings and locust shells.

Georgia Peach April 6, 2011 (8:13 am)

I love to look at the fingerprints we left at the log house my grandpa built. And I love the ones my kids put in the floor of the log “shop” my hubby built recently. 🙂

Farmgirl April 7, 2011 (6:28 am)

Where are you handprints at the log house? That’s so neat that you did that there!

Georgia Peach April 7, 2011 (8:02 am)

We all did fingerprints and they are right to the left of the door on the front porch (the one that looks like it’s on the second story.) My uncle had us all do it, and I pushed too hard so mine is the really deep finger print.

Georgia Peach April 7, 2011 (8:02 am)

I shoulda said they are in the chinking beside the door.

Jeanie April 7, 2011 (9:06 am)

The “girl” who grew up there used to visit mom every summer. 2 people before you got the barn! I think she lives in Montana now. Her initials would have been SS. Interesting!