Farmguy’s Dutch Babies
Every Saturday morning the kids tumble out of bed and head to the kitchen. Eventually we meet them there … pots and pans are banged around, counter tops are cluttered with every imaginable breakfast accoutrement and my occasionally clean stove is littered with unidentifiable foodstuffs. My husband shuffles through his loose-leaf stack of splatter-stained recipes. Today he decided on Dutch babies … and the accompanying chaos.
Chaos is the culture in our kitchen. Five people of all shapes and sizes with their own agenda. It’s a mess of mixed up ingredients. Fortunately good things usually result. And then they leave. There’s nothing like peace, quiet and a sink full of dirty dishes.
- Whisk together:
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Put a tablespoon of butter in the pan and place on a cookie sheet in the oven until butter melts.
- When butter is melted, remove pan from the oven.
- Pour the egg mixture into the hot cake pan and return to the oven.
- Bake for 12-18 minutes or until Dutch baby is puffy and golden brown.
- Cut into quarters and top with a tablespoon of strawberry jam. Dust with powdered sugar.