Show box bling for my farm girls

It began life in the early 1980s at the hands of two brothers. They hauled it to and fro, banged it, bumped it, slammed it, shoved it and sat on it, too. It’s had a hard life, but a good life — made to withstand the hands of time and cattle show cargo.

It has passed from one generation to the next — still sturdy and solid but a bit lackluster. That changed today. Pre-tween girls do not fancy the idea of hauling a ho-hum show box to the county fair. They have reputations to uphold and sparkle to showcase. They want bling, baby.

After a trip to the hardware store for paint we stopped at my sister’s house. She has one of those handy-dandy Cricut machines. Letter-cutting ensued.

Minutes later we were home emptying the show box. A coat or two of pink paint was applied to the front, top and hardware. Letters were aligned and shapes applied. Sure, sweetie, a sporty-looking top line would add more pizazz.

Metallic silver was applied to the entire box. Then they waited, impatiently, until it dried. That’s when the fun began: the peeling of the stencils. You’d think they were unwrapping Christmas presents! The screeches and giggles were astonishing. Someone mentioned rhinestones … a padded seat for a box top … silver lining on the interior. That’s when I rolled my eyes and reminded them about mucky barn boots and soapy sponges and hairy brushes.

Just keepin’ it real.

At this point I made them stop and pick up the mess of ropes, halters and various brushes they had dumped from the show box at the start of the project … just because I’m evil and wanted to prolong the suspense. Yeah, it was probably an abuse of Mommy power. I wish I could ground myself.

At long last, here they stand … pleased as [pink] punch.

“What do you think your father will say when he sees what we did to his show box?”

More giggles.

Hey!

Anybody have a BeDazzler?

Sal July 13, 2011 (4:52 pm)

Dazzling is right, Farm Girls! Looks fabulous!

mothergoose July 13, 2011 (6:13 pm)

Love it! Excellent job girls! I’m sure it’ll be the prettiest one at the fair!

Nashville July 13, 2011 (6:26 pm)

I love it! Wonderful job farmgirls!

Robyn July 14, 2011 (7:41 am)

I think the girls show box looks good!

We used Mom’s wooden show box and it got a new paint job before the fair. I just wish we could have remembered to replace the box lid chain. It never failed when we were in the hurry of finding something all of a sudden the box lid slammed down on our head. Not so fun.

Mom still uses the box today. It’s in the sheep barn.

jeanie July 14, 2011 (8:31 am)

Love it!!! Soooo creative!

farmers wife July 14, 2011 (8:39 am)

I want the bedazzler too!!!! I was going to make one of those bling bling belts for my daughter and try to save money. She didn’t think that was a good idea. IMAGINE THAT. If you find one let me know!!!:)

Mary Poppins July 14, 2011 (10:35 am)

Oh come on, tell Farmguy a rhinestone or two won’t hurt anything!!!!

Beth July 14, 2011 (12:53 pm)

Hello there! I just had a conversation over lunch with a friend about your post. We happen to be working on a project and this method would be a great help for us. Can I ask how you did the lettering and how you got it to stick while you painted over it so the paint didn’t bleed through? And final question, did you spray it, brush it or roll it?

Farmgirl July 14, 2011 (1:19 pm)

Hi Beth. I used a Cricut machine to cut out the letters. The paper has a sticky back — much like contact paper. We first painted the box pink, applied the letters, then spray painted over top. Hope that helps — good luck on your project!

Beth July 19, 2011 (12:34 pm)

Awesome! Thanks for the tips! I shared with my friend, who happens to have a Cricut that will certainly make it easier! It’s for our county fair in September.

Could you recceomend what paper you used? Or where we might be able to find some simliar?

Thanks! And good luck with your fair this week!