In a pickle

I may be overrun by zukes, but the cukes are now under control.

With a little help from my grown-up girl, we pulled ourselves out of a pickle … 50 very large pickles to be exact. I purchased a “pickling basket” at a 4-H auction. My own pickle plant was plentifully producing as well. Time to process plenty of pickles for the pantry.

Don’t you just love alliteration?

I’ve never made pickles before. It’s pretty simple! I just followed a recipe from Mrs. Wages for Homestyle Dill Pickles … mainly because I happened to have enough garlic and dill for this particular recipe!

We washed and sliced …

We packed ’em in, added garlic cloves, a dill head and a piece of green pepper. Then we topped it off with the salty vinegar solution, lids and rings, and processed for 15 minutes.

Eventually each lid popped, signaling that the jar was officially sealed. And every time we heard the tell-tale ping I exclaimed, “Praise the Lord!”

It’s one of those quirky family things … and the memory of a sweet aunt. Speaking of memories, this whole pickling process had me remembering all sorts of things. I pulled out my grandma’s pickle recipes — she had some doozies. One I remember with disdain: Mustard Pickles. It’s a long tedious recipe involving several days of stirring and rinsing and such. It involves saccharine and alum. Oh, and 1/4 cup of dry mustard and some horseradish.

Very potent pickles. She kept them in a crock on the kitchen counter and my grandpa ate them all the time. I remember them tasting bitter and hot … but some day I’ll make them again just to see if they’re better on an adult tongue.

Anyone else making pickles? Anyone else loaded with cukes, zukes and squash?

georgia peach July 27, 2011 (7:31 am)

We made the sweet pickles my grandma made. A could eat a whole jar by herself. They are worth the weeks they take to make. And they remind me of my grandma.

MAC July 27, 2011 (7:40 am)

14 day sweet pickles on are my list this year! Just need to stay home for 14 days straight and not travel so that I can do all the steps!! LOVE THESE pickles!!

Farmgirl July 27, 2011 (7:58 am)

I wanted to try the sweet 14-day pickles, too. Grandma had a recipe that required crocks, mold scraping and rinsing, patting dry and brining again. Think I’ll look for a more modern version. Good luck and have fun, ladies!

mothergoose July 27, 2011 (9:53 am)

My pickles and peaches are done. Im working on a batch of White Chicken Chili at the moment. (In my brand spankin’ new pressure canned. Gotta admit I’m a little nervous! So far so good!)

Mary Poppins July 27, 2011 (11:15 am)

I’m a little behind… I still have strawberries in the freezer waiting to be made into jam

The Texan...Not really July 27, 2011 (6:01 pm)

Man, between everyone’s pickles, peaches, strawberries, and Chili, I know where I am coming when everything goes belly up in the city 🙂

MAC July 28, 2011 (6:31 am)

It is the crock & mold recipe but it is sooooooooooooooooooo good!! I will bring you a jar and I am sure you will be convinced!! Give me 14 days first!!

Farmgirl July 28, 2011 (6:39 am)

LOL! I look forward to it. Make me a believer!

georgia peach July 28, 2011 (8:35 am)

Those 14 day pickles are what I male. They are the only pickles I’ll eat. A lot of work but so worth it.

Jen January 1, 2012 (11:52 am)

I remember when my Mother made the 14-day pickles. She would put a tea towel over the pickles then place a dinner plate on top of the towel and a big rock to weight it down. This way the mold was on the tea towel. The same “pickle rock” was used every year. One of my jobs was to scrub the rock before she used it.