Weekend in focus

Holsteins in barn

Hello. It’s Friday … a weekend’s possibilities at my doorstep but first, practicalities. Everyone gets clean bedding on Fridays … the friendly beasts and  the little beasties who share my home.

yellow lab in snowy field

Weekends mean new adventures … sights, sounds and perhaps, smells.

Barren, snowy landscape

Even if flurries fly and it’s cold and gray and seemingly lifeless outside …

Science project with beans

… it’s a warm and colorful world inside. And the indoor world is always brimming with life of some sort.

Pot of soup

There’s something warm on the stove — no recipes, just things dumped in the pot. Ingredients added until it tastes good and pleasing and worthy of the weekend.

Spice cake with white frosting

And there’s a spice cake with cream cheese frosting chilling in the fridge. Cold cake … nothing fancy … home-baked not homemade … but still tasty and treat-worthy.

Laundry

And there are colors galore and soft, warm piles to keep me busy in a mindless but comforting task. Work that allows the brain to rest while the hands work for the good and love of others.

Brown Eggs

There are golden gifts packaged in natural browns that must be used in something … breakfast, lunch or dinner? It’s yet to be determined and completely dependent on a mood that strikes the head cook, the weekend cook or the sous chefs.

Reading list for the weekend

And there is this … my reading list. Lovely rooms in a favorite magazine … travel guides for a summer trip … a novel on loan from Mary Poppins the sitter who knows I will find it interesting. She’s right. And the subtitle seems a tribute to my life … A Memoir of Birth, Joy and Hard Times  — perhaps a fitting title for all of us.

Holstein

There you have it … my weekend’s great humble expectations. And you? What do you plan to do in the next couple of days? Will you work? Will you rest? Will you read or watch or play or travel?

What’s doin’ at your place?

Nancy February 8, 2013 (8:15 pm)

A weekend trip to the cabin….walks to see what they’re doing at the lake….jigsaw puzzle solving….sleeping in….spending time with the 2 men in my life (husband and son)! Recharging after a bad week of work and remembering I’m blessed indeed. Have a great weekend!

Farmgirl February 10, 2013 (5:15 pm)

Sounds absolutely divine, Nancy!

Georgia Peach February 10, 2013 (3:20 pm)

My daughter and I went to a “girls” retreat at a local church. I came home with my head spinning, and my heart heavier in some ways and lighter in others. My son’s chorus sang the national anthem at a local hockey game so we went to that last night. Today is church and trying to get ready for next week. Hope it’s been a great weekend.
    The church we went to is doing a mother/daughter retreat in Sept. Y’all oughta come. 🙂 If not, we should find one halfway and go together.

Farmgirl February 10, 2013 (5:15 pm)

Love the idea of doing a mother-daughter retreat together!!

Elaine February 10, 2013 (4:35 pm)

I only found your blog a week ago and love it 🙂 I blog about our farm in Ireland . This weekend I thought horse riding all day Saturday, I went this morning to watch some of my adult students at a competition and then it was home to stock and house work. Tomorrow I am bringing my three little farmers on a short break we are so looking forward to it but we will miss not having the farmer with us he has to stay home to mind everyone.

Farmgirl February 10, 2013 (5:13 pm)

Thank you so much, Elaine! Sounds like you had a lovely weekend 🙂 I can’t wait to hop over and visit your blog!

• Never too early to plant beans » Farmgirl Follies - Jennifer Kiko February 19, 2013 (4:19 pm)

[…] beans are growing like gang-busters! It’s only been 10 days or so since the boy began his bean planting science study. Needless to say, he is both proud and thrilled at the results. “I have a […]