Tree construction complete

Treehouse

Forgive me. If you read yesterday’s post you may be wondering why in the world my husband was putting nails in the tree (thanks, Katie!). As it turned out, he didn’t nail into the tree, just around it!).

trimming trees

It all started a few days ago when I knocked my block off (or almost) while mowing under the old apple trees. I asked him to get the chainsaw and trim some of the low-hanging limbs so I could mow up close and personal around the trunks. There are three trees and the one up by the fence has a few long, thick, horizontal limbs.

“You know,” this would be the perfect place for a tree house!” I commented within earshot of my son.

(And now you know the rest of the story!)

treehouse rope

Allow me to point out a few of the finer features … a rope to climb up and down, a stool on a rope “to lower down for girls who can’t climb the rope” according to my swaggering son, and “storage underneath” for “my stuff!”

Father and son spent Memorial Day on this little boy version of a man cave.

Father and son

And last night during his bedtime prayers the little man said, “… and please don’t let my tree house get wet and ruin all the nice, new boards. Amen!”

I said, “That sure is a nice tree house.”

“Yeah. But Daddy wouldn’t listen to me! It’s not big enough โ€” I wanted walls and a roof and it’s not big enough for a couch. And it needs a TV!”

And he was perfectly serious.

boy in treehouse

Sorry, son. This version will have to do.

Perhaps I’ll drape a sheet above him for a roof. See! Mothers an build tree houses, too.

Aunt Mary Ann May 28, 2013 (8:06 am)

Your dad was always building tree houses when we were kids!
    I’d love to have one now….oh, wait, I’m too old….
    Anyway, a tree house and a good book…it gets no better!

Buckeye Mom May 28, 2013 (8:14 am)

Yeah, you left us “hanging” yesterday… I was trying to figure out what was being built. What a lucky kid!! ๐Ÿ™‚ That is really cute and I am sure he will spend hours hanging out in it…. We had a really cool tree house that had some seriously shoddy workmanship when we were kids… All parts/pieces were recycled from something else. The neat part was it was built into the forks of a three trunked cherry tree, so had a nice wide floor area…. The “Ladder” was boards nailed right up the side of the tree and you entered the “house” from a hole in the floor…. We used it a few years before the scrap started crumbling… Yours looks like it will be around for awhile!! Very nice…

rebekah May 28, 2013 (10:47 am)

I just saw your post spice up the holidays from long ago. Man I miss those baby hands! Much better than the grubby, dirty finger-nailed boy hands we have now!

Mai Bateson May 30, 2013 (9:46 am)

I remember the days when my dad use to build us a cute tree house! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for sharing, missing those days… ๐Ÿ™‚

Kelly @ View Along the Way May 30, 2013 (5:57 pm)

No TV in his treehouse? What kind of child abuse IS this?! It’s an outrage!

๐Ÿ™‚

I LOVE it! That would’ve been SO fun as a kid!

• For 15 ยป Farmgirl Follies - Jennifer Kiko August 1, 2013 (7:43 am)

[…] You build up our family in ways I never could. You always answer when we call. […]