Farmhouse Christmas tour

Sled and Christmas tree on back porch

Welcome! Come on out in out of the cold and let me fix you something warm to drink.

You like marshmallows in your cocoa, yes? With a candy cane to swirl them around? Good!

Candy canes and cocoa

There’s comfort food in the slow cooker … Christmas music playing in the background … red and gold and glitter sprinkled throughout the house. Nothing fancy, just simple pleasures to reflect and sparkle and glisten — decorations to deepen the connection between everyday scenes and the reason for the season. It’s a celebration and we’re doing our gentle best to bring ‘merry and bright’ and ‘comfort and joy’ and ‘peace and goodwill’ to all who bless our doorstep.

Christmas farmhouse kitchen

Grab a snack and let’s begin …

Take a moment to peruse the cards sent by dear friends and family, far and near. More glad tidings to come, each one treasured for its heartwarming message of friendship, love and Christmas blessings.

Christmas card wreath

We leave the lights on … ‘burn a candle’ against the cold for travelers young and old.

Why? To warm hearts, of course. Isn’t that why we all hang lights in festive adornment?

Candle in the window

We want to spread cheer — to represent the light of the world come down from above.

Exquisite joy born to and for us.

Manger scene

Yes, this little light of mine, I shall let it shine.

Pine and lights in the window

Let it shine, let it shine. Let it snow, let it snow!

For we will be safe and warm, surrounded by a fortune of love and goodness and blessing.

Joyous Noel and a trumpet shall sound

Joy in my heart.

Joy at my table where loved ones are fed in body and soul — I hope.

Christmas table

And though traditions old and new are blended and mistaken, we take the time to explain the heritage of stockings hung with care, gifts given to others.

Stockings hung with care

Neither began with a man in a red suit, by the way. But you know that and so do I.

Christmas tree

The magic of Christmas is a story about a babe in a barn. It is a story of holy humanity.

And some may see a festive wreath with a big red bow …

Indoor and outside decorations

… and others may see the semblance of a crown of thorns dripping red with painful, sacrificial forgiveness.

Bring on the sparkle and laughter and joy of the season. Decorate, congregate and celebrate all merry and bright. But please, I beg you, remember what it’s really about.

And suddenly, it will be SO MUCH MORE and your heart will never be the same.

For Christmas is not about the what or the when … but it is about the WHO.

WHO? WHO? WHO?

Winter owl wreath

Jesus.

And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered. And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

If you’re visiting from Nester’s Christmas House Tour, welcome!

Happy decorating, merry Christmas and remember what she says …

Nester's Christmas House Tour

Buckeyemom December 15, 2013 (10:14 pm)

Beautiful! It makes me want to decorate… 🙂 I Love the bugle. I bet one could call the neighbor’s cattle with that thing! 😉

Jennifer Kiko December 15, 2013 (10:34 pm)

I think we should get the band together and give it a hearty second try! lol

Denise Laubacher December 15, 2013 (11:44 pm)

All beautiful, but I really love the owl in the wreath the best! 🙂

Melissa Wells December 16, 2013 (6:19 am)

Beautiful! Is that owl an imposter? You should have put one of your chickens in the wreath! Christmas Farmstead Calendar worthy for sure!

Jennifer Kiko December 16, 2013 (6:52 pm)

Ha! The owl is one of those plastic “scare owls” — I spray painted him white. It was an idea I got from a Pottery Barn ad! lol

Rhondi December 16, 2013 (2:04 pm)

Your home is very beautiful and inviting. thanks for the hot cocoa!

Jennifer Kiko December 16, 2013 (6:49 pm)

Thanks for stopping by, Rhondi! A blessed Christmas and new year to you!

Retta Parker December 16, 2013 (3:19 pm)

Just beautiful post!! I really love the manger and the owl in the wreath. The story of the birth of Jesus always overwhelms me with joy and tears, good ones!! Thank you!

Jennifer Kiko December 16, 2013 (6:48 pm)

Aw thanks, Retta. The nativity set has been around since before I was born. My mom gave it to me when I got married. It holds many special Christmas memories. Merry Christmas to you!

Carrie @ Busy Nothings December 16, 2013 (7:04 pm)

Well, congrats – you’re the first stop on the blog tour this year that has caused me to pin a picture and leave a comment! 🙂 Loved the mugs with the candy canes and paper straws – what a cute idea! Merry Christmas!

Dana December 16, 2013 (9:06 pm)

So inviting and warm! I definitely want hot cocoa now…

alicia @ la famille December 17, 2013 (10:52 am)

this is beautiful! i love the candles in the windows. i’ve always wanted to do that. thanks for sharing your beautiful christmassy home 🙂

Kay @Kay's Little Korner December 17, 2013 (5:53 pm)

Woohoo, I love your history reference here with the stocking stuffed. We have talked with our kids about St. Nicholas and it’s so neat seeing that elsewhere. I really love the decor hanging in the kitchen! I may be borrowing that idea in the future 🙂 Thank you for sharing the Christ’s birth narrative in your blog post!

Jennifer Kiko December 18, 2013 (11:14 am)

Thanks, Kay! Merry Christmas to you and yours – God bless you this holiday season and into the new year 🙂

Beth @ My Destiny December 19, 2013 (6:22 am)

I love your decorations! I live on a farm too!

You’re right, Christmas is about WHO — our wonderful Jesus!

Nice to “meet” you! Have a Blessed and Merry Christmas!

Jennifer Kiko December 19, 2013 (7:13 pm)

Thanks for stopping by, Beth! I can’t wait to visit your little space on the web. Merry Christmas to you!