A Midwinter’s Tale

Farm scene with snowy barn and towering spruce tree

Snow path into the forest

Snowflakes on a pine branch

Chicken coop under snowy spruce trees

Holly berries under snow

Adirondack chair in snow

Winter does not hold back and we are cold and inconvenienced and complaining. Be careful, friends. Do not wish away the weather. Do not forsake the quiet solace of a sleeping world. This is the time to reward the works of spring and summer, the harried harvest of fall. Relax. Hunker down. Listen and learn. Spring rains will soon be upon us. We will toil in the summer sun. We will rush and race around in the heat from dawn until well past dusk — and every once in awhile we will long for a cold, cozy snow day to relieve the oppression of sticky heat and unyielding warm weather.

Look for the beauty in your daily commute. Search for serenity on your walk through the snow. See the brilliance of a hillside glistening with countless crystal flakes. You have been given a gift of living, the opportunity to revel in the season of rest. Rejoice!

crafty_cristy February 18, 2014 (11:49 am)

One of my spiritual goals has been to learn to live in the season. It has been hard for me this winter, trying not to wish for warmer days, to pine for other seasons. Thanks for the reminder.

Jennifer Kiko February 18, 2014 (2:30 pm)

It’s been hard for me, too, Cristy! Maybe that’s why I forced myself to take photos and enjoy it this morning 🙂 Stay warm!

Mary Ann Brown February 18, 2014 (12:17 pm)

I should have read this before I dumped a 1/2 bucket of water down my front, while watering the cows this morning……..It really was beautiful out, and I really did notice it……even with a drippy skirt and laughing cows…….

Jennifer Kiko February 18, 2014 (2:29 pm)

Oh, that sounds cold and miserable! On the bright side, at least it didn’t happen on one of those “minus” mornings! Enjoy the sunshine 🙂

Jeanie February 18, 2014 (4:38 pm)

THIS IS MY FAVORITE TIME OF YEAR. i LOVE THE SNOW(.ALTHOUGH NOT SO MUCH WHEN i WAS TRYING TO FIND MY WAY HOME LAST NIGHT THROUGH THE VERY LARGE SNOW FLAKES AND SNOW ON THE ROAD). HOWEVER ONCE i WAS HOME THE BEAUTY WAS BACK. NOW MUST LOOK FORWARD TO THE SLUSH AND GRIM AS ALL THE BEAUTY MELTS AWAY!

Jennifer Kiko February 18, 2014 (5:09 pm)

Glad you made it home safely! I agree, mud and slush are a mix I don’t cherish. I suppose we must face the “sticky situations” between the seasons!