The only Sloppy Joe recipe you’ll ever need
This family favorite is in a category all its own. My Sloppy Joe recipe card is worn and stained to timeworn perfection. Every time I stir a pot of this meaty mixture I recall barefoot summer days in the kitchen at the firemen’s pavilion, watching as my mother and other volunteers mixed huge roasters full for the annual Strawberry Festival.
Sloppy Joe is certainly not fancy but it’s beloved, and everyone should know how to make it. In case you don’t have a recipe, here’s one for the ages. It has a slightly sweet taste backed up with a bit of tang — because everything is better with a bit of sass, right?! Sometimes I substitute half Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce for half of the ketchup, but that’s up to you and your taste buds. Enjoy!
Augusta Township Sloppy Joes
- 1 14 oz. bottle Heinz ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 large onion
- 2 Tablespoons bacon drippings
- Brown ground beef with 2 Tablespoons bacon grease and large, diced onion. Drain and set aside.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a stockpot and heat until bubbling.
- Add ground beef and onion mixture and stir.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or longer. Serve on buns.