Irish Blue Cheese, Bacon and Zucchini Soup
This soup is bubbling with rich, decadent flavor. It’s perfect for chilly days when you need something to warm your gizzard! Serve with a fresh garden salad and crusty bread.
The original recipe calls for Cashel Blue — an Irish farmhouse cheese that’s smooth, creamy and great for cooking. I used crumbled blue cheese from my local grocer with delicious results. Enjoy!
Prep for cooking by assembling your ingredients (printable recipe below).
Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a stock pot and brown six slices thick-cut bacon, diced. While bacon cooks, dice one onion and three red-skinned potatoes. Slice two zucchini. When bacon is browned, reserve a tablespoon or so for garnish. Then add vegetables to the pot and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables soften.
Add 4 cups unsalted chicken stock to the pot and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool slightly. Then use a food processor to puree mixture (2-3 batches at a time).
The soup is a colorful mixture of vegetables, bacon and broth. When processing is complete, pour puree back into the stock pot. Season with 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper and 1 teaspoon Kosher salt or to taste. Slowly add 2/3 cup half and half and 4 oz. of blue cheese. Stir on low heat until melted and combined.
Brighten soup flavors by adding 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice. Stir.
Ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish with reserved bacon and fresh parsley, chopped. Serve with a crusty loaf of your favorite bread for dipping.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 3 red-skinned potatoes, diced
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 4 oz. blue cheese
- 2/3 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, course ground
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot on medium. Add bacon and cook until browned, about five minutes. (Reserve some for garnish.)
- Add onion, zucchini and potatoes to pot. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add stock. Simmer 10 minutes more. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth (2-3 batches).
- Return to the saucepan and slowly add salt, pepper, blue cheese and half-and-half.
- Add lemon juice and heat gently until cheese is melted.
- Serve in bowls garnished with reserved bacon and fresh parsley.