Freeze Carrots In Six Easy Steps
1. WASH. Pick fresh carrots from the garden or purchase bundles at a farmer’s market.
2. PEEL. Use a vegetable peeler to clean the carrots. They’ll look bald and beautiful, like this …
3. CUT carrots into desired size. I chunked some and sliced others.
4. BLANCH. Add carrots to a large pot of boiling water. There should be enough water in the pot to cover the number of carrots you add. Boil for 4 minutes. (I use my large water bath canner pot so I can process large amounts at once.)
5. SHOCK. Remove carrots from boiling water and immediately place in ice water. This halts the cooking process. Carrots should remain in the ice water for 4 minutes. (I fill my sink with cold water and ice, then use a sieve to move the carrots from my large canner pot to the ice water. Works like a charm!)
6. BAG. Drain water from the carrots and place in zipper-locking freezer bags. Be sure to date the bags first, and remove air last. Store them in your deep freeze until you’re ready for something garden-fresh and delicious!
Told you it was easy! 🙂