Enchanted Porch Party for Two
The porch wasn’t particularly inviting to begin with. As you can see above, the seasonal decorations were sorely lacking. With a few sweeps of the broom, the addition of aforementioned corn stalks and twine string, and my pile of pumpkins, the front porch was quickly transformed into an autumn oasis perfectly suited for date night. All we had to do was choose a rocking chair and light the candles …
Be honest. Isn’t this better than driving 25 miles to stand in line for a meal? We think so. You don’t have to agree with me. Like I said, I realize we’re not normal! My parents are very particular about their Saturday night dates and wouldn’t give them up for anything — and that’s perfectly fine. I guess at this point in our lives it’s just easier to make a pizza and turn a movie on for the kids, then retreat to the porch for a couple of hours with a little wine, delicious meal we made together, and always intriguing conversation. In my book that’s the best a girl could ask for!
Preparing the porch for a party of two — and for larger gatherings throughout the season — isn’t difficult. Think quick, simple and I’ll be honest … cheap. I began with pumpkins and cornstalks, and then went on a foraging trip. Goldenrod is plentiful in every field, ditch and weed patch around here this time of year. You’ll also find orchard grass and if you’re lucky, some flowers from your own beds that lend themselves to a fall arrangement. What I’m saying is this:
- Gather lovely weeds and put them in a crock, vase, jar or some kind of container
- Throw a tablecloth on the patio table. Don’t have one? Use a sheet or blanket
- Arrange pumpkins, cornstalks, gourds or Indian corn — whatever you have on hand
- Light candles — these are key to the whole shebang. Candles make everything better!
- Gather a few snacks like cheese and crackers, fruit or even an entire homemade meal. Busy? Order takeout and serve it on real dishes. I’ll list a few of my favorite homemade date night meals at the bottom of the post.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY: Sit, relax and talk. Together.
I can’t follow this with long walks on the beach, but I will say the pasture is awfully nice this time of year! And now, so is the porch. We may not be in our ‘rockin’ years’ quite yet, but we’re making a mighty fine early attempt! Give it a try … date nights at home with a little inspiration from the great outdoors!