Apple Onion Spoon Bread with White Cheddar
This is the perfect thing to share with a neighbor, deliver to an ill friend or enjoy with dinner on a brisk, autumn evening. This recipe combines applesauce, sour cream, Jiffy cornbread mix and white cheddar in a sweet and savory spoon bread topped with sliced apples.
I don’t know what it is about this time of year, but I’m craving cheese in all its lovely forms. I’m adding it to recipes every chance I get! I used Cabot Farmhouse Reserve Cheddar in this spoon bread. It’s rich and creamy with a bit of a bite — just the way sharp white cheddar should be!
I also used something new to me when preparing this recipe: paper loaf pans. These nifty little paper pans are oven-safe to 400 degrees, and the perfect size for special deliveries and friendly offerings.
The recipe makes three, 8 x 2.5 x 2 inch pans. And it’s simple to mix up, too — common ingredients and about 50 minutes in the oven. You’ll pull the loaves out halfway through baking and top with apple slices.
The recipe is below. Make Apple Onion Spoon Bread today … or tomorrow … and again this weekend. Make it for yourself, your family and your friends. And don’t forget to say, “Happy fall, ya’ll!”
Be sure to Pin It!, below, so you have the recipe handy any time!
Apple Onion Spoon Bread with Farmhouse Reserve Cheddar
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1 8.5-oz. pkg. Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/3 c. water
- black pepper
- 1 medium apple sliced
- melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a skillet, melt butter and saute onion until tender.
- Stir together muffin mix, applesauce, sour cream, cheese, egg, water and pepper. Stir in onion mixture.
- Pour into 2-quart baking dish or mini loaf pans. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Brush apple slices with melted butter and arrange on top. Bake 25-30 minutes longer.