Southwest Chicken, Kahlua Black Beans and Cheddar Rice
I have a new favorite in my spice rack: Denny Mike’s Chick Magnet Southwest Seasoning. It takes chicken from boring to “big bang” status. Combine this spicy chicken breast with fresh peppers, onions, black beans, and brown rice — made rich and creamy with Cabot Tomato Basil Cheddar, and you have truly spectacular recipe!
Southwest Chicken, Kahlua Black Beans & Cheddar Rice
- Brown rice enough to make 3 cups cooked
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 8 oz. Cabot Tomato Basil Cheddar shredded
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. chicken breast sliced into thin strips
- 1 packet Denny Mike's Chick Magnet Southwest Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons granulated honey
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 small red orange and yellow pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 onion sliced thin
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce to taste
- Kosher salt
- Prepare 3 cups brown rice according to package directions. When rice is tender, stir in butter and shredded Cabot cheddar. Season with Kosher salt to taste. Set pan aside with lid on, to keep warm while preparing chicken and vegetables.
- Saute sliced chicken breast in a skillet with 1 Tablespoon olive oil. When no pink remains, sprinkle chicken with Denny Mike's seasoning packet and 1 Tablespoon water. Stir to combine.
- While chicken cooks, saute garlic in 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a second skillet for 1-2 minutes. Add peppers and onions to the garlic. Saute until tender.
- Rinse and drain black beans. Add to the skillet.
- Combine seasonings and honey in a small bowl. Add seasonings, vinegar, Kahlua and Tabasco to the vegetables and stir to combine. Season with Kosher salt to taste.
- Add chicken to the skillet with the beans and vegetables, and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve chicken and bean mixture over cheddar rice. Or, combine rice and bean mixture, then spoon into a large tortilla and roll tightly. Serve burrito with salsa and sour cream.